May 3, 2012

December 16, 2010/Beene Bazaar

I just re-discovered this outfit that never got posted, from (holy shit) a year and a half ago.
The good news: I still like it!
Need to try to work this skirt back onto my body, I guess next winter.












I found this skirt at a vintage store in Minneapolis. Or, was it a resale store? It may very well have been the Everyday People in St. Paul. It's wool and yarn, and vintage Geoffrey Beene!!

The label is 'Beene Bazaar,' one of many clever Beene titles, which changed throughout the years. The best obviously being the 'Beene Bag' tag. I was curious to know more about the Beene Bazaar line, and some cursory googling led to this:




As a full-fledged research nerd, I get unreasonably interested in and excited about old periodicals. The above google news scan from the January 3, 1971 edition of The Milwaukee Journal is probably not nearly as noteworthy to you as this 1997 Spin magazine I just found with Fiona on the cover (and some wonderfully newly vintage-ed clothing ads for things like Sega and UNIONBAY). You're welcome.





Though I remain freaked out about the digitization of things like books and magazine and the general, casual, shameless use of Kindles because I do not want these things to ever be all-digital, it's great to like, have access. I guess. Maybe it's not great to have access. Maybe I should have had to uncover this Spin digging in the back shelves of a thrift store. That would be more #RARE and thus more special. But like, it's so worthwhile and interesting to read these pieces of evidence of other times. Not as times in history, but just as other times in themselves. These bits of paper -- now transmitted to my brain through the painful glow of this finicky, environment-ruining thing on my lap which allows me to paw continuously through more mindless drivel than I ever believed existed in the consciousnesses of other people -- well they are pieces of processes that shaped things, bodies, events, feelings.

Someone once read that laborious description of the Beene SKETCHES (they aren't even actually photographs, just shoddy sketches) and then,  the "Sorry, no mail or phone orders," instruction, and still couldn't resist these offerings. Some actual woman could not wait to get to Gimbels, to get her hands on the latest in "resorting" wear. She saved up a whole one hundred dollars for a tropical blazer in lime, or magenta. She felt something of a pull, and a need, and a desire for these sketched out pieces. Why? Because of Beene? Because of materialism? Because she wanted to look like a sketch in a newspaper?

Because of something else we don't fully understand? 

When I saw the Beene Bazaar skirt, on a rack next to some lamé castoffs, for a moment, I knew. I felt it. 
 

2 comments:

Syed said...

Love the look of this outfit, if anything it's the white shirt that does it for me. I've been on the hunt for a white shirt that fits just right, but have yet to find it. And I know what you mean, the immediacy of information seems to make it almost disposable these days. People move from one piece to the next, it's forgotten as soon as they've clicked the next link.

Alice said...

that skirt is really great, but it might be how the white shirt under it looks, that emphasizes the great shape of the skirt.