April 3, 2011

To sleeve or not to sleeve?

One year ago I posted about the incredible fall 2010 Dries Van Noten collection. I included this image:

Last fall, I looked for a cheap but nice trench at thrift stores, planning to hack off the sleeves as seen above, right. I never found the ideal candidate. Turns out many trench coats do not have a straight vertical shoulder/armhole seam. Then winter happened and I stopped caring. But it's spring now. And I still have the look on my mind. 

Finally coming out of a long winter is a time to reevaluate the closets. And in the coat closet I realized I've had the perfect trench for altering since 2009. It just didn't occur to me. I showed it to you once, but honestly, I never wore it out.

Until last night. I wore it out, and I suddenly wasn't so sure about the sleeve removal plans. It would be super easy to just cut them off, because they are attached farther back at that seam a few inches closer into my body than the outer shoulder. That little bit between the thin seam and the shoulder's edge is a finished overhang, and the sleeve could easily be taken off with no rough edge showing and no need to even hem it.


As much as I think the sleeveless trench is super cool looking, I've always had a serious aversion to vests and feel like this could be a problem. Without the sleeves I think I would also need to shorten the length. I don't know if I can go for it! Should I? Should I even be wearing this coat? I felt pretty good walking around with it blowing in the wind and whatnot (and feeling like some sort of weirdo on a Saturday night in this while randomly amongst the downtown clubbing crowd in their hoof shoes and glitterfaces). But what about these sleeves, for real? It's that end-of-winter/early-spring "who am I?" moment. You know what I'm talking about.

 
Please ignore my left hand. This was the best I could do w/ limited lighting and time. ^^

Also, yes. I wore the same tights twice in one week. With: white cotton tank dress, sheer American Vintage collared dress, Cheap Monday cropped sweater.

Coat dilemma aside, one thing I'm certain about in my life are these sandals. No one likes them; that much is clear to me. I showed you how they give me an awesomely fat calf both here, last summer, and again here, the summer before that one. They're definitely coming back for a third spring of slimy greens. I hope you're as excited about that as I am.


4 comments:

chuck n. said...

seeing as i have a weird liking for vests, i saw cut it.

i've cut a blazer and a varsity jacket into a vest. now, i need to cut a trench into one to. i've been looking for a cheap thrift one too but, sadly, in vain

G said...

I like the way you pushed up the sleeves a lot (that's very Dries, too!).

And I have to say, I kind of like those sandals. So that makes the two of us.

Sophie said...

liking the lime green!
good luck with the altering - just give it a whirl, cos really if you unpick at the seam and it looks crap you can always get someone to sew the sleeve back in.

The Animal Orchestra said...

I had the same craving for a sleeveless trench, and considered thrifting one to cut up. But then I ended up buying an amazing trench dress, that I can wear open as a jacket when I feel like or buttoned up as a dress. I like to wear it open with a leather jacket underneath - et voila, a Burberry inspired, leather-sleeved trench!