February 10, 2011

Lurking on Matthew Ames

I'm intrigued by Matthew Ames. He lives and works in Brooklyn, and yet decided not to show at New York Fashion Week, suggesting instead that he "will introduce a new direction to the way he presents clothes."

These are pictures from when Matthew Ames did present at Fashion Week, Fall 2010.
^This is my dream look in case I ever actually grow up to be a professor. Imma go practice that scowl in the mirror right now.

Loving this quilted jacket so much I'll put more pictures of it in this very same post.


I am not surprised by this decision of non-NYFW-participation because I lurk his blog, Matthew Ames Journal. His most recent post is a reprint of an interview with Fran Leibowitz, in which she shares her disdain for the whole tent-ridden affair and suggests they should just show it all live online since the whole fashion scene of yesteryear, of which she felt like a special insider, has gone by the wayside in the great downfall of civilized high society due to our shit loving culture. It's a fun read for a contrarian like myself, but I don't take much of what she says to heart. Apparently, Ames does, at least to the extent that he shares her sentiments regarding the shows.

But in the past few months, I've been more interested in the images circulating of the things he makes. Here are some pictures I saved into a folder on my laptop and have waited for a while to show you!

These 3 are from Encens and in each, the Ames piece is the jacket.
The top 2 are my inspiration for working ornate pattern and vibrant colors into the mix with clean lines, draping, and volume... all while not looking like a complete bag lady. Still not sure I can pull it off IRL. I'll show you if I manage.


The Backstory (from facebook):
Matthew Ames was born in Washington D.C. in 1979 and grew up in Illinois and Michigan. He earned a BFA from The School of The Art Institute of Chicago in 2003. After working at the atelier of Jurgi Persoons in Antwerp, Belgium, Ames relocated to New York where he began working as a design assistant to Miguel Adrover. In 2004, he was selected as the first American finalist for the Festival de la Mode à Hyères in France. Ames showed his first women’s wear collection in 2005 and opened a studio in Brooklyn, New York. In 2009, Ames received the 8th annual Ecco Domani Fashion Foundation Award and in 2010 was nominated as a finalist for The Fashion Group International Rising Star Award in women’s wear design. Ames lives and works in Brooklyn, New York.
You see? I lurk hard when I like something. It's not surprising to find on the Journal things like this 1984 article on the "minimalism trend" in American sportswear led by Perry Ellis, Calvin Klein, Giorgio Armani, and Geoffrey Beene. I loved this: "the clothes are not so constricting that women have to mince steps." I still get sad when I see young women on their way to the club, perched on the balls of their feet and looking like when you try to get your dog to dance on its hind legs. Which is another reason I'm loving these looks: all are worn with the most perfect simple loafers.

I have some more fantastic images to share with you.
(again...)
Basically, I wish I could dive right into this picture and be this woman. You would never see more than half my face again.

4 comments:

Claudette said...

I like that you keep the conversation about clothes on the brainy side, because despite popular belief, loving clothes is not always a frivolous exercise.

Thank you for link to the Lebowitz interview. I LOVE her style but I didn't know she had such strong opinions on the matter.

Susie said...

Claudette, that's so nice to hear. Clothing is truly fascinating on so many levels beyond being "hot," or, alternately, "cool."

chuck n. said...

the jacket is fantastic. it's unconventional shape effortlessly redefines the trite hourglass silhouette that people still seem to live for.

that's one thing i love about minimalism, it gives us the opportunity to experiment with new forms without looking blogger-ridiculous.

Hard Liquor, Soft Holes said...

ooooh, didn't realize he worked under jurgi persoons. LOOOOOVVVVVVEEE jurgi.