November 13, 2010

Interpellation

Blogging might be an extension of my mirror stage, which I seem to have never outgrown. In any case, I was recently interpellated  deeper into a blogging subjectivity (ideology?).

---

What is this about? Well, I'm really flattered that Miss Woo listed Loveship as one of ten blogs she loves! The "I love your blog" prize consists of answering a survey then passing it on. Mike is sitting this one out due to discomfort with the compulsory, Livejournal-esque vibes. But I made the decision to go forth and answer.

Mainly, I want to take this chance to use my powers of persuasion to get you to watch some really excellent movies. I also thought I might reemphasize the ideas behind this blog (though they are currently under some careful consideration).

Here goes...

1. Why did you create the blog?

This web space originated as a travel diary of moving here, called "Goin' Minnesoty Way." It was put on pause for some time, as we seriously questioned why the fuck we came here. There was a definite moment when some changes had to be made. We decided to work hard to make the best of everything. We got engaged. We started blogging again. It's like we needed a make-over, only that time, we decided to makeover our souls. .

Personally, I needed an outlet to talk about fashion, style, and related ideas. I consider my entire relationship with fashion an intense "hobby," the way some people are really into golf or Magic the Gathering. Sometimes the people you see everyday think you're an asshole or weirdo for your hobby. I find so many amazing things in MN, but at the time had no friends to share with. My IRL friends who share this hobby live thousands of miles away, so this was a way to show them things and talk a bit about what's going on in my life. And then there was the internet bit. I've found that I really love knowing that people in other cities and countries will appreciate such things, even if I get sideways glances when I go out.

Case in point for why I love this blog: If I go out among my best friends in a killer outfit, they will compliment me. If I wear some "crazy" pants, they will get so excited about them with me. But 95% of the people I see, even friendly acquaintances, just try to pretend the pants are not happening on my body. They glance, make a constipated look, and say nothing. I couldn't live like that. I appreciate this forum. 


2. What kind of blogs do you follow?

See the list to the right. There are some more, too. I tend toward ones with insights. I tend to stay away from ones that make me feel like I'm signing up to get advertised at.


3. Favorite makeup brand? (Boy bloggers are a bit left out here. Maybe product?)

I don't have an answer to this. I only started wearing makeup in the past few years and put nothing on my face-skin. I occasionally address my eyes, eyebrows, and sometimes lips. I'm figuring it all out very, very slowly. I just get things with Macy's gift/return cards after my mom inevitably buys me some 500 pack of eyeshadow and rancid perfume that I have to return... 


4. Favorite clothing brand?

I've always answered "The Japanese" on this question. I was really feeling Dries up to Spring 2011. My love of Phoebe Philo is well-documented in the archives here. I generally wouldn't say I'm a huge brand loyalist. Also, I can't afford any of the things I just listed. I appreciate things on their own merits, and will wear Moschino, Guess, Chicos, Talbots, or worse if it's done to my taste. 


5. Your indispensable makeup product?

See above. Again, not really something I care about. I will say: lotion. Or, moisturizer. 


6. Your favorite color?

This question was really popular and important to identity formation in grades K-8, so I'll list my past favorite colors by era.
Age 5-10: Purple!!!
Age 11: Lavender (I learned a new color. It's still purple!)
Age 12-14: BURGUNDY. because it's like blood and wine and I was "that girl." 

7. Your perfume?

I wear it about 5 times a year, but it is very special. It's called 'Nirmala' and is made by Molinard in Grasse, France. A best friend and I were in the process of getting to know each other and cementing our bond while studying abroad. We visited the perfumery and I was in love with this scent, but low on euros. She got a bottle, which I would borrow whenever I saw her. A few years post-France, she tracked down a bottle for me in a style that is no longer available. It was one of the most special birthday presents I've ever received. 


8. Your favorite film. 

This is the question I'm most excited to answer. I'm going to do a top 3, because favorites are hard.

First, promise me that if you haven't already you'll watch Freeway, ASAP. Starring Reese Witherspoon and Kiefer Sutherland with cameos by Brittany Murphy and Tara Subkoff:
"A twisted take on 'Little Red Riding Hood' with a teenage juvenile delinquent on the run from a social worker traveling to her grandmother's house and being hounded by a charming, but sadistic, serial killer/pedophile."
This shit is truly amazing. Reese's breakout role, and the one you never hear her speak of in interviews. I have loved her and followed her career ever since, solely because of this performance.


While you're on your Netflix queue, also get Killer of Sheep. Even if the above kitsch is not appealing to you, trust me on this one. It's beautiful and perfect. When Mike and I started our courtship phase I hit on him by asking him to see this with me in a little one screen theater for a matinee. I started racking up cool smart girl points like, instantly. Later, I faked a pregnancy and the rest is history. 













Finally, we recently saw Shirin Neshat's Women Without Men. It was really good.


9. What country would like like to visit and why?

Japan. For clothes and food and ventures into the countryside. I've been literally having dreams about going to Japan, probably 10 or so different scenarios that I can remember. When I wake up it hurts a little. 


10. Make the last question to yourself. Why did you take this survey so seriously, or at all?

I do not know.

--

I now give the prize to:

Feel free to answer these questions, or don't.

10 comments:

Ann said...

Girl, I love you and your fierce crazy pants. I really want to visit Japan right now too! I've been obsessed with it for the past month, as if being obsessed with it can make it happen any faster. Let's travel together xo.

Jessica Sue said...

Added Freeway and Killer of Sheep to my already neverending Netflix queue and saved Women Without Men. Sweet.

Rebecca said...

O.M.G. Honestly, I read your blog for the critical theory, and I've been trying to figure out your area of study for some time. Post-colonial stuff? Are you in anthropology or something of the sort? I am a geographer myself. I would totally die if you did a post all about what you do academic-wise. But, alas, I do understand this is a fashion blog...

Michael said...

Just kidding about the pregnancy mom and dad.

Michael said...

This post makes me feel pregnant....with ideas.


I don't know why I'm commenting on our blog.

Susie said...

Rebecca, that's the best compliment I've every received on this blog, that you read it for the theory! I might do something critical in this space someday.

Since you asked, I'll disclose that I'm in American studies presently, with past study in Communication and Art history/theory/criticism. Geography is becoming closer to my heart, as I'm pretty heavily involved in a Deleuzian and Latourian perspective in my current project, which is on landscape, ecology, and difference. I am also heavily influenced by anthro in recent years. My main advisor is a cultural anthropologist.

Maybe I'll be more critical about something relating to my research on this site someday... There have been some recent developments in men's trends that directly relate to my thesis... But I am pretty reluctant. Thanks for the encouragement though!


Jessica: I hope you'll still trust me after watching Freeway. It's a film that divides.

Cory said...

Lorena and I posted our answers last night, it took surprisingly longer than we'd anticipated but it was fun.

Neither of us has seen Freeway but we'll soon remedy that; for someone who went to film school, I'm really not up on my movie game compared to some people!

hereisafantasylikenowhereelse said...

I love how you can sashay (pronounced sah-shay) from interpellation to purple lipstick.

I also started blogging more frequently in Minnesota, but you will find out more about that in my next post.

Hard Liquor, Soft Holes said...

oh, i'm always so terrible about these surveys!!

Miss Woo said...

These are great answers, and I especially feel you on the first question as very few of my IRL friends share my interest in fashion (unless they are IRL friends that I made through blogging, ha). I would like to talk about the significance of a good pleat without being made to feel like a pretentious douche, so thank god for the internet.

And I loled at the 'Livejournal' esque vibes description of these tags, so true.