October 5, 2010

Knit basics and your mom

This fall is turning out to be a time of change and accepting new things. For example, I'm just beginning to embrace the color blue. At this point, dark shades of blue are a central feature of my f/w 2010/11 look (Oh, isn't it fun to talk like this!). It happened organically. First there was a navy cardigan I couldn't pass up. Then my blue jacket entered the rotation, and so on... it seems blue is here to stay.

Maybe it's weird to talk about a color like this, but I have had an anti-blue stance for some time. Not anti-everything-blue, just anti-blue on my own body. Anyhow, it was basically right after I made my hate of blue known that I started wearing it all the time... like this, my new knitwear basic in navy.

I think what's really special about this sweater is that it's just a long rectangle draped over me with a head-hole in the middle. Then, there are two stitches going straight down underneath each armpit. Hence the construction is basically closing the sides of a poncho. I love this silhouette. Shapelessness wins again.

Oh, what's also special is that it's made by Ellen Tracy. Long time readers probably know I'm not above shopping in department store sections far outside my "demographic." I'm pretty sure some of the raddest shit out there is in "mom" stores. Please believe I've started pausing as I pass by Chico's and Coldwater Creek (so much floor length, shapeless, and linen!). Please also know that I've yet to walk through those doors. In the meantime, on my road to advanced style, there are things like this:

Do you have an anti-color? Will you ever do a 180 and start wearing it constantly, or is that just me being strange?

7 comments:

Katie Empkey said...

I was anti-brown for a very long time. Now I love it. But what I really wanted to say was that I found my eyes totally drawn to Chico's when I passed it at the mall the last time. I was thinking "oh! what's this?" and then I looked up and saw the sign and shuddered. Flicker and fade. I'm a mom and I just can't do it. That wouldn't even be funny/ironic, it would just mean I'm officially old.

Susie said...

Chico's has leather leggings.

Katie Empkey said...

No. NOOOOOO!

DEAD FLEURETTE said...

I was anti-taupe but now I'm wearing it almost everyday (my boots are in taupe!! haha). I adore your outfit. The shoes are amazing and you look so well in pleated trousers.. wish I had your height!

Susie said...

fleurette, thank you for the compliments. somehow, given internet weirdness, they seem a bit more genuine from you.

Miss Woo said...

The navy looks really good on you, so elegant! As for anti colour, I could never wear baby blue or yellow, they just look barf on me.

Hard Liquor, Soft Holes said...

it looks fantastic on you. i ALWAYS love a midnight navy. have a threadbare tshirt that i will never ever part with that i've tried to find a replacement for forever that's in darkest darkest blue you've ever seen.