June 4, 2010

Vexed

Impulse buys happen to us all, right?

Here is my most recent:


There is a lot to love, which is why I knew the minute I tried it on in the notoriously inhospitable H&M dressing room that I would be taking it home with me. But why do I think I love this puff sleeve bolero covered in rosettes in a harsh bright red? Everything in that last sentence points to amazing; but alas, I have ambivalent feelings upon introducing it to the other clothes in my wardrobe.






I know it's a blogger mistake to not exude total confidence that what you are wearing is the shit. But you know what, fuck it. I'm in love with this jacket. I wanted to show it off to you, my friends, yet I'm not happy with anything I've worn it with. I'll keep trying. Maybe I'm too committed to wearing it with whites and neutrals?







Maybe I'm just trippin because I haven't written a decent post in so damn long and I have a lot of new things all at once. As this summer started I definitely felt some changes in the air. Our house is different, and we just returned from a week long vacation to San Diego to see friends and family. Travel always makes me reflect on things a little too much. When I bought this jacket I was shopping for some slightly more professional clothing. I have a curatorial internship this summer, and I haven't had to dress professionally in warm weather in like, well, ever really. Side-boob tank tops were not gonna cut it. So as I was buying basics and blazers and trousers and such, I also picked up this insane jacket thinking, "I'll wear this all the time!" Huh?

Here is what Mr. Michael said to me, "It's a little fashion victim. I'm sure the blog world will love it." The man does not hesitate to share an honest opinion. I hope you'll do the same. I will continue to love this jacket, and you.

9 comments:

Lorena said...

I saw this jacket at H&M and instantly loved the color and texture, to be honest I don't think that photos do it justice! I've seen it on a couple of blogs and if I didn't see it in real life first I don't think it would appeal to me the same way. I didn't consider buying it because I didn't think I would wear it much but I like it all the same.

Does Michael feel it's fashion victim-y because a handful of bloggers own it? Something that I'm constantly reminding myself is that style on the internet is generally not representative of real life and there are a number of things that seem 'popular' on style blogs that I have never/rarely seen in person. Things that make me feel unoriginal on the internet usually don't in real life because style blogs are such a closed environment of trends and dressing for each other and acquiring 'it' items that the average person has no knowledge of.

I think what's important is that you love this jacket and feel good in it. Maybe try wearing it with some other colors and things from your wardrobe you wouldn't initially think to pair it with? Maybe something more casual? Regardless of what you wear it with that shade of red always looks good with dark hair like yours.

Maggie said...

I think it's very cute and depending on the job you're going to, you could wear it to work because it could still pass as slightly professional (for dress down Fridays). I think I'd be able to get away with it at my job.

To tell the truth, there is a certain style I promote on my blog because I've found what my viewers like to look at, and I input a little bit of what I like in a fantasy world into the mix.

In real life I dress for the real world. But there are select pieces that have been inspired from fashion blogs and celebrities I add into my wardrobe. If you've found something like that and it really works for you, then it's a perfect combo and it's nothing to worry about. It looked very good paired with the shorts, actually!

Michael said...

Oof. Quoted and everything.

I think it would look best with black capris and a white tee. Something simple to let it shine. The first couple pics look pretty good actually. The above commenter was right--it looks good against your hair.

Ann said...

I think it's a jacket that I love looking at, but not sure I would love being looked at in it.

But, as Mae West said: "It's better to be looked over than overlooked."

So work it, girl. I think you look like a hip cultural museum curator in it.

Carissa said...

You look like an art lady! I want to be an art lady! We'll be crazy/fashionable art ladies together. But seriously, girl. These photos look beautiful. Your brows look good, too. I like the pairing of the red with neutrals. I think that's the way to go. It's more unexpected than other combos.

I love you and love that we spend so much time worrying about the clothing on our backs.

Susie said...

thank you all for the very nice comments. i didn't know that the jacket was on other blogs until my friend carissa told me so. i think my real issue here is, as lorena pointed out, that the jacket actually looks much better in person than in photos.

blog/internet false realities and personae aside, it causes me much doubt when things look either much better or worse in photos than in real life. like, remember how cher in clueless said she doesn't trust mirrors and always takes a photo of her outfit? it's like that. only i'm too trusting of mirrors and then photos betray me.

Charlotte said...

I think the clothes you have paired with the jacket go perfectly. As people like to say, the neutral background really makes the red of the jacket "pop"!! Such a silly saying, but it is so true.

I saw the jacket in H&M and I just thought 'nah, it won't go with anything' - now I feel a bit silly, you look great in it.

Charlotte xx

The Style Rail

WildBirdVintage said...

I am simply going to say I love it. We are all drawn to certain things for a reason.

gerald said...

YES!!!!! I'm about to sign you to LaFierce Records, bitch.