February 2, 2010

Musings on Fall 2010 Shows: Part 1

The rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated. Let's get to it then.

Mired by blogs as I am, I tend to forget how quickly events come and go, and how discussions are abandoned in favor of sound bytes and synopses. I want to do something a little crazy here. Let's go back...way back to three weeks ago. I want to talk about the shows.


Alexander McQueen:


The main criticism against Mr. McQ seems to be that he's a busy guy spread too thin among projects. As a result, some of his presentations can seem unfocused and uninspired.

That said, I loved his Fall 2009 show. It was a vision fully realized. He went with a Jack the Ripper/Sherlock Holmes-y vibe that maybe was a little too influenced by steampunk which I'm willing to forgive because it was totally awesome. Bulky tough guys still looked rakish, elegant, and dangerous in throwbacks to an era that seem plucked from our collective unconscious--a fantasy lineup of suspects who could've been but likely never were. There's something about dressing up off-kilter masculinity that I'll always be interested in, codpieces and all.

Watch the video if you get the chance. I like the music.




So coming off that show, I was excited to see what he had in store for this fall. My first thought was: who the hell invited Scorpion and Sub-Zero?






















Any moment I expected Liu Kang to come out doing a flying bicycle kick screaming "AIIIIIWADAHALAYYYY!" That never happened.

What did happen was the pattern of the wallpaper kept finding its way on to the garments coming down the runway. Something about the art on the walls coming to life reminded me of Ghostbusters 2 and Vigo the Carpathian .

So why is Alexander McQueen mining random pop culture villainy from my youth? Maybe it inspires him. Occasionally, it inspires me. Villains always do make the best characters. Unfortunately, there were no standout heroes in this collection to leave me wondering what McQ'll do next.

1 comment:

Taj said...

I thought I was the only one who was thinking "who invited the ninja???"lol.
this season was amazing though, and I totally forgive him for that bullshit from last season:)