October 9, 2009

Parisian conclusion

For no reason other than Meghan's comment on the last one of these, I bring you my conclusion on the second half of fashion week, where my question about the future woman met with a number of competing answers.

The hype over Chanel's presentation has been on my mind. I guess I was vindicated by Karl on those white clogs I picked up a couple months ago? But seriously, longing for the pastoral is such a cliche hobby for the rich, no wonder critics were eating that shit up, like "Oh look, a barn! How magical?" And it goes perfectly with the 21st century shift toward self-congratulatory attempts to "get back in touch with nature" through organics, slow foods, and the like. Full disclosure: I love local food and self-congratulate for shopping at the farmer's market. I love all the quaint and pastoral things about the Midwest. But I recognize that it's just a product of my love for staying in touch with the bourgeois tastes and will not save us all from the ecological doomsday we've created... (sorry for that but I'm telling you a story here... it's not necessarily a true one).

Did anyone notice none of these clothes matter? Are we supposed to think quilts are chic now, or that draping tulle all over our bodies is cool?
Karl, keepin' it kitschy in some rugged denim:

SO back to our story. In contrast to the rural longings of the rich at Chanel, McQueen provides us with a wardrobe for when nature is finally overcome and we are all cyborgs! This shit was over the top amazing! I used to sit on the couch as a kid while my dad watched the Sci-Fi channel, thinking its funny how all the women of the sci-fi future were super beautiful and styled in body-con suits, but with weird-ass spots all over their skin or horns or whatever. I am actually not into science fiction at all, but am intrigued by this and the question of its relevance. As Gerald asked me, is McQueen an important designer now? Good question. Yesterday NASA bombed the moon looking for water, so maybe this is what we can wear when we go to live there?Alright, that's my dissertation on Spring 2010 and futurity. Here's what I actually wanna be wearing. I'm so happy for the revival of Celine. These would all make excellent professor outfits for Spring semester.

I want to be a cool kid and gush about Givenchy like everyone else. But I keep wondering if we're being duped. I mean, the fucking keffiyeh as graphic print? Honestly, I had completely divided feeling on this. I loved half and loathed half. Tisci shows amazing skill at cut and construction, but pushes into overly trendy territory where I can just imagine all the knock-offs at Forever 21 already. I wish he would use his obvious talent to transcend that niche.
Aside: I love Lakshmi Menon. She is my favoritest model I think, so I'm including her. She's brown, 26 years old, and college educated, so I'm in love. So glad she didn't get stuck in the horrible prints. Such a beautiful lady.
Everything else was mediocre. Marc Jacobs takes Vuitton even further into hackery, YSL was kinda a snoozefest, although I thought this was lovely. But just because of that color on that girl, and previously mentioned love of the draping trend.
I stareted wondering again if Stella McCartney is riding her privilege. I'm really not a fan of Chloe since Hannah MacGibbon took over. Who wants to look like they are wearing a camel blanket? And if I need a 90s working-mom blazer I'll get it at Goodwill. But you know what, I don't think I need a 90s blazer. Miu Miu did nothing for me because I don't care about adolescence.

So that's a wrap. Meanwhile, here in the great upper Midwest, it snowed overnight with a low of 23 degress, making Spring feel quite a long way off. Back to the coat posts for this blog.

1 comment:

gerald said...

i'm gonna write chanel a letter telling them why old white people are boring, but only after i write that letter to french vogue telling them that blackface isn't really post-offensive, just plain racist.

i love mcqueen. can you wear your hair like that on your wedding day?