September 29, 2009

School Daze

So I'm in graduate school and think it's funny to "dress the part" by wearing things like this tweed blazer with an awful wide collar. It has leather elbow patches, which make you look smart. Unfortunately, I got dressed in too much of a hurry this morning, and I didn't realize how wide this little ensemble made me look. Oh well, nothing wrong with having curves! Even if I actually don't? You decide.


But despite my efforts at looking scholarly or whatever there is still this mismatched kitschy asian schoolgirl inside me, and hence the mismatching and kitschy tights.


These tights are actually very sexy Wolfords that I bought on accident, but I had to de-sexualize them for classes today. I am a TA afterall. Yet, an undergrad boy still "complemented" my "leggings" after class. I'm sure he meant well.


So the story on the tights (I love when my clothes have a back story more than just "I bought these because I have an endless cash flow" - not the case in my life thus far.) is, I was at Nordstrom Rack in LA and somehow all the tights were not in their proper packages, and I thought I was buying some beige Calvin Klein hosiery with a crosshatch pattern (still kinda sad I don't have those as well...) But anyhow, when I got home I pulled these out and was at first pissed because I didn't get what I had wanted. But then I realized what they were... I remembered them precisely from this Style Bubble post! Annnnd, they are my first pair of Wolfords, which I have commodity fetishized for like 3 years now but never bought. Mainly because of their typical price.

Anyhow, here is what is special about these tights. They create the illusion of stockings, even though they just become nude tights at the top. This photo is from a fall 2008 NYT slideshow, which informed me that these were going for $90. And I took them home from the Rack for $2.50 under false pretenses. I win!


Aren't they way too sexy, though? I mean yes, this leg model makes one think that these tight/stockings = raw sex. But this picture sums up my personality:


Needless to say, I'm not a seductress.

Anyhow I kept it real low-key with my quilted Delmans. Which I love and bought for $30 at gh2 last fall.


I'm excited that it's fall and I finally got to break out this scarf I bought at an estate sale this summer! It's nice and thick, but without being too heavy, as it's made of cotton and/or linen (not sure, it's old and has no tag). So much volume. I love it.


That's all for now babies.

1 comment:

ann said...

Great job on those Wolfords - total sex legs. Now you're making me want to head to a Nordstrom Rack. Tell us about your cute quilted green flats too.